What is the Silktide Index?
The Index is the league table showing how organizations in various industries compare for web accessibility.
The Index includes worldwide public and private sector websites.
It uses Silktide’s automated web accessibility testing software to test and score websites against the latest version of WCAG – the globally-recognized standard for web accessibility.
Silktide’s mission is to make the web a better place for everyone.
Why did Silktide create the Index?
We launched in February 2020 with the aim of raising awareness of the importance of web accessibility.
Making your website accessible to as many people as possible makes sense for your organization.
With more users able to access information, you’ll see the following benefits:
- A wider user base
- A better user experience for everyone
- Fewer support calls by allowing easy access to information
- More revenue
- Better SEO
What are your obligations to web accessibility?
If you’re in the public sector, you may be required to meet certain legislation, including:
- The EU Web Accessibility Directive (Europe)
- The ADA including Section 508 (United States)
- The AODA, the ACA, or the AMA (Canada)
- The DDA (Australia)
If your business is in the USA, then you should comply with the ADA whether you are in the public or private sector.
EU legislation will soon cover private sector accessibility.
How do I contact Silktide?
Speak to us on our Live Chat widget or fill in the form on our Contact page if you;
- have any questions about the Index
- wish to add your website to an existing category
- wish to suggest a new category
- are a member of the Press and would like access to Index data
- Frequently asked questions
- Who are Silktide
- What is "accessibility"?
- How does the Index work?
- How does Silktide choose which pages are tested?
- How accurate are the results?
- Do monthly report results replace the previous month's results?
- Why has my score changed when my website hasn't?
- Can I increase the number of pages tested or test more often?
- How can Socitm members access their free monthly report?
- How do I unlock more recommendations?
- What are the WCAG compliance levels?
- What do I get if I become a paying Silktide customer?
- If I score 100%, am I fully accessible?
- When does the Index report run?
- Will you test my website mid-month?
- How do I add my website to the Silktide Index?
- Why is my website marked as 'not tested'?
- Why Silktide Index scoring changed in 2023
- Why Silktide Index scoring doesn’t match your paid Silktide scoring